Rytech’s 2022 Disaster Update—Courtesy of NOAA

Did you know there have been 332 disastrous U.S. weather events since 1980? This includes droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, hailstorms, wildfires, and just plain bad weather—pretty much anything where the total damage of the individual event exceeded $1 billion. 

Total cost since 1980 exceeds $2.275 trillion. Rytech wanted to know how we’re doing so far in 2022. 

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reminds us that America’s ocean and coastal areas affect all of us — and we affect them. Almost 40 percent of the U.S. population lives in coastal shoreline counties. These counties contribute $9 trillion to the U.S. economy.

Climate change, sea level rise, more intense storms, and population growth are all challenges for Rytech Restoration and the many US coastal communities it services coast-to-coast.  

For example, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predicted above-average hurricane activity this year — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. Specifically, it forecast 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

But that’s just hurricanes.  What about all the other disastrous events, many of which require a response from Rytech?  The National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) is NOAA’s scorekeeper tracking severe weather events from a historical perspective.  

As the featured graphic above shows, in 2022 (as of July 11), there have been 9 weather/climate disaster events with losses exceeding $1 billion each. These events included the following stats:

One drought event and 8 severe storm events.

Eight deaths including severe economic effects on the areas impacted (over $1 billion)—compared to the 1980–2021 annual average of 7.7 events.   

The annual average for the most recent 5 years (2017–2021) is 17.8 events (CPI-adjusted).

According to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), roughly 60% of Americans don’t have a disaster relief plan in place — even though a sudden emergency or disaster can happen at any time. Annual wildfires sweep the western part of the United States, snowstorms   in Texas and hurricane season every year, you should plan what to do if a natural disaster hit your city or hometown.

Put together a disaster plan which should include the following often forgotten elements:

  • Sign up for severe weather alerts in your area.
  • Program emergency numbers into your phone.
  • Decide on a meeting place for your family to gather.
  • Plan escape routes from your home and neighborhood. Remember, roads could be blocked in large-scale disasters. Have at least one alternate route — or more if possible.
  • Be sure all adult and teenage family members know how to shut off gas, electric and water lines if there's a leak or electrical short. Keep the necessary tools easily accessible, and make sure everyone knows where these are.
  • Consider learning CPR and first aid training.
  • Remember your pets. Bring dogs and cats inside during a catastrophe or make a plan for how you'll evacuate with them. Make sure they have ID tags.

We’ve only got five months to go this year. Keep an eye out for advanced warnings and consult NOAA for the latest information.